Monday, February 7, 2011

Snow Days

We have had 8 or 9 snow days so far this school year. Most of my teacher friends are nervous, lamenting that we will be in school all summer, making the kids restless and hard to manage. They are right; it will suck to be in school in June. But I can't lie. I love snow days. I don't care about the disruptions to my schedule, the longer, hotter school year. I still get terribly excited to think about not going to school. I can be exhausted and still want to stay up late, because I know we won't be having school the next day. I get up in the middle of the night to check closings. I look out front windows to see if the road is covered. Snow at night makes for peaceful sleeping. It blankets my normally ricochet thinking patterns.

The snow today was the prettiest of the year. The flakes were huge, silver dollar sized sails floating to the ground. They came slowly, gently, frosted feathers floating. Everyone watched it snow today at our school. It was a galvanizing event, and although it was somewhat annoying for the kids to be continually asking if we were leaving early, it was also nice to have something we were all interested in. The kids marveled at the snow today. They walked through it. They laughed about it. They went to the restroom just to stand by the doors and watch it. Which is something I myself did today too. For a few hours we all shared in the same occasion and rooted for the same team.

We talk about things to do in the schools to help promote school spirit and camaraderie--the answer is simple. Snow. It worked greater than any pep rally or guest speaker i have seen.

No comments: